Warning: This is a rant. You might get offended.
Refuges, gun control, Muslims, Islam…hot topics in the last few weeks. Facebook is full of it: articles, memes, statuses, etc. Everyone has an opinion. People calling themselves Christians have opinions. And now I am going to get blunt. Some of their posts and the things they share are downright ignorant and offensive. Christians, this post is for you, those of you who claim to believe in Jesus as your Savior, I’m going to remind you of a couple of things and inform you of some others. Here we go! 🙂
Islam is not the enemy. Muslims are not the enemy, not even radical ones who commit acts of terrorism.
- Did you know that a Muslim can never be certain if they are going to heaven or not? That they just have to hope in the mercy of Allah, hope that in the end their good deeds will outweigh their bad ones?
- Did you know that most prayers in Islam are simply a repeated ritual and that Allah is not portrayed as a personal god to be known?
- Did you know that the Quran cannot be read “in context” because the verses don’t always go together with the next verse? It was compiled after Muhammad’s death by men who had listened to him and memorized what he said. The first complete manuscript on record is dated 200 years after Muhammad’s death.
- Did you know that in order to understand the Quran, Muslims rely on hadith, Muhammad’s words and actions recorded in tradition, kind of like biographies? Different types of Muslims rely on different authors because they don’t always agree.
- Did you know that while Islam teaches that Jesus was a historical character, even a prophet, he was NOT the Son of God, he did NOT die on the cross, and he was NOT raised to life?
Islam is not the enemy. Just reading over these few points reminds me who the real enemy is – someone who not only hates God but also hates the people He created. Someone who is really good at telling lies and spinning half-truths. Someone whose main goals are to steal, kill, and destroy. The enemy is Satan. Muslims are just lost children of God.
And these precious people are never going to find the truth about Jesus if the only Christians they encounter are so filled with fear and worry that all they can do is hate. They will never find Jesus if the Christians they meet don’t know their Bible, because devout Muslims not only know the Quran and the hadith, they also know the Bible. These lost children will never meet Jesus if they don’t meet Christians who know Him, who have an active relationship with Him.
So, Christians, stop it! Stop being afraid of what you don’t understand. Get educated. Stop expecting this world to be comfortable and satisfying. Stop being shocked and horrified when bad things happen. This is not our home! We were made for more! Stop living for yourself. Use your short vapor of a life to share Jesus because it’s gonna be over really soon. Stop fearing death or the unknown! Be bold, be confident, be fearless because you have the God of the Universe living inside of you, closer than your next breath. Stop believing lies! Start trusting in the truth.
These things that consume our thoughts, and the news, and our Facebook wall…none of them really matter. This world that seems to be falling apart just a little bit more every day…who cares? Let it fall! Because…
Two thousand years ago, a baby quietly slipped into our world. In a tiny town, in a tiny country, looking like an unplanned pregnancy with an unwed mother. Announced not to celebrities, but to a few despised shepherds. Laid not in a cradle, but in a stone feeding trough. Seemingly insignificant, but changing history. A baby, God. Choosing to live humbly among His people. Born to die. The One who spoke the world into existence dependent on His creation for nourishment. The backwards, inside-out, incomprehensible Kingdom had begun. The Promise fulfilled. God with man once again. Restoration. Hope. Peace. Life. Future!
Do you believe this? Do you? Then let’s live it! Let’s go all in! Let’s read God’s Word. Let’s believe it and live it! Let’s love Him and love people! Let’s get to know Him and follow Him. Let’s give Jesus our lives, let Him live through us, let Him change us! Let’s do this! Are you with me?
If you are interested in getting better informed about Islam, and better understanding Muslims, I just read a fabulous book called “Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus, A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity” by Nabeel Qureshi. Wow! Such a powerful story! Not only does it help to explain Islam, it also provides strong supports for Christianity. It might be my new favorite book and is available at Christian books stores for $17.99 or on Amazon for $13.99.